No more tubes!!

Thursday was a tough day for not only Silas but me as well. Silas had his surgery that morning to remove the tubes from his ears. To start off with, we were almost late because I turned off my alarm on accident (go me!). Once we got to the doctor’s office which is only 2 minutes away, Silas knew we were there for him. He got mad really quick. We went back into the main room where they had me change Silas into a gown. He did not like this at all!


After he was changed and had a nice warm blanket on him we sat there and acted goofy. We played on my phone while nurses came and went asking a bunch of questions. One of the nurses attempted to put a blood pressure cuff on Silas. That was pretty funny because Silas kept ripping it off. He wasn’t having any of that. We sat there for a very long time because the doctor was running behind schedule. Around 9:15 the anesthesiologist came to see us. She gave Silas an oral anesthetic, well…we both did. I put Silas in that awesome hold that I mentioned in a previous post and she gave it to him. About 10 minutes later Silas was zoned out.


The nurse came and got Silas from me and he of course screamed the entire way to the O.R. After they took him I went out into the waiting room. About 25 minutes later I met Silas back in the recovery room. It broke my heart to see him lying there all hooked up to the stuff and knocked out. I knew he was fine of course it just sucked to see him have to go through all of this again.  

The doctor came out and explained to me what he did since going in he wasn’t sure due to Silas not letting him look during the office visit. The left ear ended up not having the tube as he suspected. Everything was clear and looked good in that ear. The right ear still had the tube which he removed. The doctor went on to explain that the ear was badly infected and the fluid had built up and hardened. This was why the ear infections kept continuously coming back. The doctor cleaned out the ear and inspected. He said that the hole where the tube was should heal up within the next week and hopefully we will not have any more infections. Just in case, the doctor gave me some ear drops and the dosage in case the ear started leaking. We shall see. We have a post op appointment in a week. After he left I sat there looking at Silas.


It seemed like it took forever for Silas to wake up from the anesthetic. It took well over an hour, which I will definitely keep in mind if he requires it again in the future. This of course worried me…in the back of my mind I was thinking, he better freaking wake up soon or I’m going to freak out! Once he did finally wake up it was tough as I knew it would be. He was in a state of confusion and anger. Mostly he was angry because he couldn’t sit up or make his body do what he wanted it to do. He flopped around for a bit screaming before I put him in my lap. He calmed down some but was still pretty mad.

One of the nurses helped me get him dressed and put both of us in a wheelchair. They saw how floppy he was so they wanted to make sure I did not drop his crazy self walking out to the truck. Once we got home I sat Silas on the couch for a minute so that I could get him something to eat and drink. As soon as I took a step away he about fell off the dang couch. It was like watching a baby all over again. I sat him on the floor while he screamed at his body and got juice and strawberries.


We curled up on the couch and watched a million episodes of The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That. It was hilarious watching Silas try to feed himself strawberries. He could pick them up after a few tries and then when he brought it to his mouth he could kind of make it in his lips but he didn’t open his teeth. He was trying to shove the strawberry through his teeth. I could not stop laughing. I pulled his jaw down for him every time so that he could realized he needed to open his mouth. He destroyed those strawberries. After about 4 hours the anesthetic fully wore off and Silas was fine. He hasn’t complained once or even touched his ear. Hopefully things stay that way. 


About Tomonica

Hi, I'm Silas' mom and this blog is simply to document our journey with autism. There will be topics such as how our journey began, what certain aspects of autism are, therapies, successes and failures, as well as sometimes just my craziness. I hope you enjoy reading this and perhaps learn something useful.

Posted on January 19, 2014, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.

  1. I am so glad my man is doing better and that things are looking up….I understand how frustrating that situation is for all of you especially since there is little communication. Hopefully he will not have to go through that again! Love to all!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: